Throughout Guatemala, Easter Week (Semana Santa) is celebrated as the most significant and festive season on every religious and social calendar. Joseph travels to Guatemala City, Antiqua and Lago de Atitlan to discover that while the observance is rich in Roman Catholic ceremony and tradition at the same time it leaves room for the popular devotion and beliefs of the indigenous Mayan culture. In addition, the communal creation of hundreds of beautifulalfombras (flower-strewn, multi-colored “carpets”) that line the streets in front of the religious processions is something to behold. The pomp, color, emotion and devotion all combine to create a once-in-a-lifetime travel experience.
Travelscope’s Guatemala Travel Partners
“A big, beautiful travel book” -USA Today
Answering the difficult questions that today’s savvy travelers ask—where’s the best place for a beach getaway in March? What are my options if June is the only time I can take a vacation? I’m getting married in November, where would be the perfect place for a honeymoon?—this is the must-have book for anyone planning a vacation or a longer adventure.
Consultant Editor Joseph Rosendo and a team of travel experts have combined inspirational narrative with sumptuous photography to bring over 130 global destinations to life, from snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef or cruising the Galapagos Islands to marveling at the mighty Victoria Falls or grazing at the Galway Oyster Festival. Domestic getaways aren’t overlooked, either: the fall foliage in Northeast Vermont is radiant in September; the funky, sunny Florida Keys are an ideal February getaway and both the jaw-dropping California Coast and lush Kaua’i make for fantastic October trips.
DK Eyewitness Travel Guides are loved for their visual excellence and quality information. Now, Where to Go When takes the Eyewitness experience to the coffee table and is bound to give even armchair travelers itchy feet.
- Over 350 vacation ideas, organized month by month
- Superb photography captures the very essence of each destination
- Tailored vacations in six themes – Festivals & Culture, Unforgettable Journeys, Natural World, Luxury & Romance, Activity Breaks, Family Getaways
- Covers travel mainstays like New York and Rome, plus the more exotic, like La Paz and Timbuktu
- Practical information on getting there, transportation, weather, accommodation, suggested itineraries, and food
- Helpful list of dos and don’ts
- 5-year calendar of events and an overview of the world’s weather
$40, Hardcover, 9780756630737, 336pp, October 2007
For more information, or to purchase: Click here
Rosetta Stone Inc. is changing the way the world learns languages. Rosetta Stone provides interactive solutions that are acclaimed for the speed and power to unlock the natural language-learning ability in everyone. Available in more than 30 languages, Rosetta Stone language-learning solutions are used by schools, organizations and millions of individuals in over 150 countries throughout the world. The company was founded in 1992 on the core beliefs that learning a language should be natural and instinctive and that interactive technology can replicate and activate the immersion method powerfully for learners of any age. The company is based in Arlington, VA. For more information, visit RosettaStone.com®.
Porta Hotel Antigua
The Porta Hotel Antigua in the heart of the world renowned and enchanting city of La Antigua Guatemala is perfectly situated for exploring the region’s baroque architecture, colonial history, local craftsmen and women, traditions, volcanoes and coffee plantations.
- Distinctive Guatemalan decorations and accessories from its rich history adorn guest accommodations
- Lush gardens, beautiful pools and quaint patios encourage relaxation.
- A delightful variety of Guatemalan and International dishes are offered at Los Moros Restaurant. El Conquistador Bar serves snacks and beverages.
- Ceiba Spa features traditional treatments combined with European products for the ultimate spa experience.
- The beautiful gardens and plazas are the perfect setting for social and corporate events. The Convention Center offers meeting space for up to 420 persons with state-of-the-art technology.
- Families love the Porta Kids Club, a fun experience for kids from 5 to 12 years.
- Porta Hotel Antigua – the place for an incomparable experience!
And on the shores of Lake Atitlan, one of the most beautiful and mystic lakes in the world, the PORTA HOTEL DEL LAGO, enjoys a prime location with breathtaking views of the Lake and its majestic volcanoes.
click here for more info.